At Collartz, we carefully craft elegant, fine fashion jewellery pieces that allow you to express your unique self and add a perfect finishing touch to any of your looks. Jewellery often holds great sentimental value, and our fine fashion jewellery are designed to be timeless and meant to last you many years, even if worn every day. Preserving your jewellery is important to us, so we’ve made a quick guide on how to care for your jewellery.
Ultimate Guide for Caring and Cleaning Fashion Jewellery
- Take your jewellery off when you go to bed
- Keep your fashion jewellery away from perfume, lotion, chlorine, or any other harsh chemicals. If it comes in contact with these, rinse it in water immediately.
- As a general rule, we recommend that you put your jewellery on last (when getting ready to go out) and off first (when you get home).
- Make sure you are storing your jewellery properly to avoid them getting tangled. We recommend a jewellery box or placing each jewellery in a separate jewellery pouch.
- Clean your jewellery (see below for a more detailed guide on how to clean your fashion jewellery depending on the material it’s made out of).
- For most, cleaning their silver fashion jewellery once a year is enough. We do not recommend cleaning your silver more than six times a year.
- The most common way to clean silver is to purchase a cleaning liquid or cloth. There are plenty of options on the market, but just double check that they are made specifically for cleaning silver.
- Another method is to add a few drops of liquid dish soap to a bowl of warm water. Soak the silver fashion jewellery into this bowl for a few minutes and gently scrub with a clean, soft-bristle brush, like a toothbrush. Then, rinse the jewellery in clean, warm water and leave it to air dry (or gently ruby dry with a silver cloth).
- For silver that needs a little bit more cleaning, you can mix equal parts of white vinegar and water in a bowl. Soak a clean toothbrush in this solution and carefully brush off the affected areas of the fashion jewellery. Rinse the jewellery with clean water and leave it to air dry.
- You can clean your brass fashion jewellery using lemon juice. Pour a cup of water into a bowl and add some lemon juice and salt. Stir this, and place your jewellery in the bowl and leave it for a few minutes. Make sure to keep an eye on your jewellery — you can remove it as soon as it looks shiny. Rinse your jewellery with clean water and dry it thoroughly with a soft cloth or towel. Ensure that you dry it immediately because brass retains water spots. If you don’t want to use the lemon juice, water, and salt mix, you can cut a lemon in half and sprinkle salt on top of it. Rub this on the brass and then rinse it off and dry it.
- Alternatively, you can mix a cup of white vinegar and a tablespoon of salt. Warm this solution in the microwave for around a minute. Ensure the solution is just warm, not hot, and then place your jewellery in the solution. To remove additional grime, gently scrub the brass with a soft cloth or toothbrush. Afterwards, rinse your jewellery with clean water and completely dry it with a soft cloth.
- We recommend cleaning leather jewellery around once a month, if you are wearing it every day.
- We also recommend that you get a waterproof solution or protectant spray for leather fashion jewellery/items. These are widely available online.
- Grab a slightly damp cloth and pat down the leather. Afterwards, put a small amount of mild, unscented hand soap or leather cleaner on the cloth and pat the leather jewellery. Then, rinse and dampen the cloth using clean water and gently wipe the fashion jewellery clean. Lastly, pat it down with a dry, soft cloth and leave it out to finish air-drying.
- If your leather jewellery has mildew, create a solution of equal parts rubbing alcohol and water. Dip a clean, soft cloth into the solution and wipe the affected area. Afterwards, let it air dry, but make sure it’s away from sunlight.
Our fine fashion jewellery pieces are incredibly beautiful and each piece should be with you for a lifetime. The simple steps above will help make sure that you can treasure your jewellery for years, even if worn every single day.